Why Hire an Asbestos Lawyer?
Asbestos lawyers can help those affected by the dangerous carcinogen asbestos recover financial compensation and get justice.
- Asbestosis, a chronic lung disease caused by inhaling asbestos.
- Asbestos lung cancer, lung cancer caused or worsened by asbestos fibers.
- Mesothelioma, a rare cancer that starts in the mesothelium, the membrane protecting your internal organs.
If you worked in shipbuilding, construction, or the military you may be at a higher risk of these diseases. For decades, manufacturers of asbestos-containing products knowingly put millions of people at risk of serious asbestos-related illnesses.
Additionally, treatment costs can be devastating to many families. Asbestos lawyers can help you take action and get the money they need.
Lung Cancer Group can connect you with a trusted asbestos lawyer if you have lung cancer or another asbestos-related disease. Get started with a free case evaluation today.
- Access Financial Aid and Justice
- Learn About Your Options
- Contact Us for Free
Types of Claims Asbestos Lawyers File
Asbestos lawyers can help with several types of claims, depending on your eligibility. Learn about each below.
Asbestos Trust Fund Claims
Asbestos trust funds were created by negligent asbestos companies that declared bankruptcy. These companies were forced to set aside money in trust funds for current and future victims of asbestos-related diseases.
There is still $30 billion available in asbestos trusts today. Those with mesothelioma, lung cancer, or other asbestos diseases may be eligible to file an asbestos trust fund claim. People who lost a loved one from an asbestos-related disease can also file claims.
Many people may be able to file claims with multiple trusts. An experienced asbestos lawyer can see which funds you qualify for and file claims to get compensation.
Asbestos lawyers can help file asbestos lawsuits on behalf of the victims of asbestos exposure. These lawsuits are filed against the asbestos product companies responsible for their injuries.
There are two types of asbestos lawsuits:
- Personal injury lawsuits compensate people who developed asbestos illnesses due to asbestos exposure.
- Wrongful death lawsuits compensate the loved ones of people who died as a result of of an asbestos-related disease.
VA Benefits Claims
Those who developed lung cancer or mesothelioma after military-related exposure to asbestos products may be able to seek additional benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Some asbestos lawyers are VA-accredited, which means they can help veterans navigate asbestos trust fund claims, lawsuits, and VA benefits claims all at the same time.
Top asbestos lawyers do not sue the U.S. military or government. Further, filing asbestos lawsuits or trust fund claims won’t impact a veteran’s ability to get VA benefits.
Some VA benefits include:
- Disability compensation
- Free or low-cost treatment at VA health care facilities
- Survivor benefits
Compensation and eligibility for each VA benefit will vary for each person, depending on the severity of their disease and other factors.
Lung Cancer Group can connect you with a VA-accredited asbestos attorney if you or someone you love has mesothelioma. Contact us today to see how we can help.
How Asbestos Lawyers Help With Lawsuits
Without an asbestos lawyer, it’ll be significantly harder to file a lawsuit and get justice. Asbestos attorneys make the process much easier, handling many steps on your behalf. See how lawyers make a big difference below.
Investigating Asbestos Exposure
Asbestos lawyers can gather and preserve evidence that shows your illness was caused by asbestos exposure.
They will collaborate with other lawyers at their law firm, third-party medical experts, paralegals, and other support staff to build your case.
Examples of evidence for proving asbestos exposure include:
- Job descriptions or records revealing workplace exposure to asbestos-containing materials
- Medical records, biopsies, imaging scans (such as CT scans and chest X-rays) and blood tests demonstrating the severity of your asbestos disease
- Testimonies from medical experts confirming the connection between asbestos exposure and your illness
Assessing Damages for Your Claim
Besides investigating asbestos exposure evidence, an asbestos lawyer can assess damages (how much financial compensation they believe you should receive).
They will look at the following to calculate the following damages:
- Medical bills: Treating asbestos-related illnesses can be very expensive. Mesothelioma treatment costs often exceed over $500,000. The more medical expenses you incur, the more compensation you may be owed.
- Pain and suffering: Lung cancer, mesothelioma, or another asbestos disease can bring a lot of pain to you and your family. Your attorneys will want to secure financial payouts to make sure you’re compensated for this.
- How your condition affects your family: You will likely receive more compensation if your asbestos illness affects your family more. For example, if you are the sole breadwinner and you can’t work due to your condition, you could receive more compensation than if you were only one of the several breadwinners in your family.
- Your expected lifespan: You will receive more compensation if you are expected to die early due to your asbestos illness.
Helping You File an Asbestos Claim
Your asbestos attorney will help you file your asbestos claim by:
- Using their databases to track down which asbestos manufacturers are responsible for your exposure
- Finding and interviewing former co-workers and witnesses who can provide testimony
- Collecting records related to your diagnosis, such as blood tests, pathology reports, imaging scans, and physician’s statements
- Finding documents proving asbestos manufacturers knew about the dangers of asbestos exposure but chose to put you or a loved one at risk of exposure anyway
- Filing paperwork according to your state’s statute of limitations (deadline)
Negotiating an Asbestos Settlement
Once they’ve filed your claim, your attorney will negotiate an asbestos settlement with the asbestos companies being sued. A settlement allows you to get a lump sum of compensation and in return, the lawsuit doesn’t proceed to a trial.
Asbestos attorneys will use their legal knowledge and negotiation skills to secure maximum mesothelioma compensation and justice through a settlement.
Asbestos settlement amounts vary depending on various factors, including:
- Your age: Younger asbestos victims tend to get higher settlements.
- Your illness: Cancerous and fatal conditions, such as mesothelioma and lung cancer, tend to have higher settlement amounts.
- Your treatment costs: The higher your medical treatment costs, the higher your settlement payout could be.
However, on average settlements for mesothelioma patients are $1 million or more, and lung cancer settlements can total hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Taking an Asbestos Lawsuit to Trial
If the opposing side(s) refuses to settle, your asbestos attorney can take your case to trial before a jury. They will use their courtroom skills to fight for the amount you deserve.
Trials take more time and may be unpredictable (there’s no way to guarantee you’ll get any compensation). However, others with asbestos-related diseases have been awarded millions of dollars from jury verdicts in certain cases.
Benefits of Working With an Asbestos Lawyer
Although it’s technically possible to file an asbestos claim or lawsuit by yourself, you should hire an asbestos lawyer for assistance.
There are many benefits of working with an asbestos lawyer, including:
- Attention to detail: The legal process is complicated. Asbestos attorneys are familiar with procedure and filing requirements, negotiation, and other aspects of the legal process. They can ensure you get the justice and financial compensation you deserve in a timely manner.
- Legal knowledge at your fingertips: Not only does an asbestos attorney have the expertise needed for complex asbestos cases, but they will also have access to a reputable asbestos law firm. This gives them even more resources to build a strong case for you as well as databases of job sites for asbestos research.
- More time for rest and recovery: Hiring an asbestos lawyer allows you to focus on resting and getting treated for your condition. Your lawyer will handle your case for you, from conducting legal research and interviewing witnesses to negotiating your settlements.
Do you need help finding a trusted asbestos attorney? Lung Cancer Group can connect you with a lawyer right now. Get started with a free case review.
- Access Financial Aid and Justice
- Learn About Your Options
- Contact Us for Free
How to Choose an Asbestos Attorney
Finding the best asbestos or mesothelioma lawyers for your case can be challenging.
Ask yourself the following when choosing a high-quality asbestos lawyer:
- Does the lawyer offer a free case review or consultation? A reliable lawyer should offer a free initial case consultation. You can use this consultation to obtain basic legal help and evaluate your attorney-client relationship.
- Does the lawyer work on a contingency fee basis? If you pick a lawyer who works on a contingency fee basis, you don’t have to pay them upfront. You only pay a percentage of your settlement or trial verdict if they win.
- Does your lawyer specialize in asbestos law? Asbestos lawsuits and claims require specialized expertise in asbestos law. Make sure your lawyer has an impressive track record of asbestos verdicts before hiring them.
- How many years of experience does your lawyer have representing clients with your asbestos illness? A lawyer with ample experience in asbestos litigation is more likely to win your case.
- Does the lawyer have positive reviews? Your lawyer should have dozens if not hundreds of positive testimonies and reviews online. Consider choosing another lawyer if your attorney has a poor rating.
Find the Best Asbestos Lawyers Near You
Asbestos lawyers can help you and your family secure much-needed compensation after a diagnosis of lung cancer, mesothelioma, or asbestosis. Other families impacted by these diseases have received millions of dollars with little stress by working with asbestos lawyers.
If you and your family members are looking for a reputable asbestos lawyer near you, contact Lung Cancer Group. Our team can match you with experienced mesothelioma attorneys and other asbestos lawyers.
Additionally, our asbestos lawyers provide free consultations for asbestos cases and mesothelioma cases. Get started by setting up your free case review today.
Asbestos Exposure Lawyers FAQs
Do I need an asbestos exposure attorney to file a lawsuit?
Yes, you need a lawyer to file an asbestos lawsuit. The right asbestos lawyer can handle many (if not all) aspects of filing a lawsuit and securing compensation. Working with experienced mesothelioma attorneys also gives you more time for treatment and family.
If you file a lawsuit by yourself, it will be nearly impossible to get compensation due to the complex nature of the legal system. You may miss important deadlines or documents, which can prevent you from getting compensation or severely limit your compensation.
When should I contact a lawyer for asbestos exposure?
You should call an asbestos lawyer as soon as you have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness. The longer you wait, the less time you have to submit your claim or lawsuit.
Lawsuits must be filed before your state’s statute of limitations, and asbestos trust fund claims have their own deadline for submissions.
How much do asbestos lawyers charge?
The best asbestos attorneys will not charge hourly or upfront fees. Instead, they will work on a contingency fee basis, which means they won’t get paid unless they win your case.
While determining which lawyers you want to hire, be sure to ask if they will charge upfront or work on a contingency basis.